The Blessing of Work



People usually seem to associate the word work with negativity. I know my first thought at the word is all the times I’ve grumbled when my parents asked for my help with house or yard work, but the purpose of work is not to make us unhappy. We’ve been commanded to work by our Heavenly Father who wants us to be happy and gives us commandments to help us reach pure joy in the end. Of course, we work for things that will bring good to ourselves and others, but does that mean we can’t enjoy the work itself while we’re doing it?

First, it helps to understand where the principle of work comes from. The first example we see is in the creation of the world through Jehovah. Next, we can see how work became a commandment for Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden when they were instructed to “dress it and keep it.” (Genesis 2:15) They weren’t commanded to do this because they were the only ones who could do it or because God wanted to cruelly teach them a lesson. They were commanded to work because Heavenly Father loved them and wanted to guide them to a brighter future and have more joy. Afterall, “men are that they might have joy.” (2 Ne 2:25)

I’ve gained a stronger testimony of the principle of work and the joy it can bring through the past couple years as I became very ill and lost the ability to function physically as I was used to. My illness ended up sending me home from my mission early, taking me from a position of constant work to practically doing nothing at all. I began to gain compassion and empathy for those who are chronically ill and cannot help themselves or others in a traditional sense. It was because of this opposition in my life that I began to feel immense gratitude for the ability to work. Bishop H. David Burton of the Presiding Bishop said, “some falsely believe that the highest goal in life is to achieve a condition in which one no longer needs to work… To work—honestly and productively—brings contentment and a sense of self-worth. Having done all we can to be self-reliant, to provide for our own needs and those of our family, we can turn to the Lord in confidence to ask for what we might yet lack.” I can say from personal experience that living a life style without work cannot bring a fullness of joy.

President David O. McKay was apt to say, “Let us realize that the privilege to work is a gift, that power to work is a blessing, that love of work is success.” Often the realization of the blessing of work comes from our attitude and perception of it. After having my capacity to work taken away, the restoration of my abilities was seen as an incredible blessing. Suddenly, I could return to pursuing education and a career and serving others as I pleased. These things weren’t burdens but direct blessings from a loving Heavenly Father.

In family life, work is a necessary principle. It helps family members join together in a cause and be more unified. There will be times we may become overwhelmed by the amount of work on our plates – and that’s okay – but I believe our lives will be much happier as we recognize the necessity and ability to work as a blessing rather than a burden. Although I didn’t always like it, I can say with a surety that the times my family has worked together, we have grown in a unique way only possible through our combined efforts. As you work side-by-side with your spouse, siblings, and parents, you can create beautiful memories and unbreakable bonds with those you love.

Comments

Popular Posts